2014 NA Legal PTW's

Post your news about Systema PTW, and related to Airsoft here.

2014 NA Legal PTW's

Postby mxa5022 on Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:41 pm

not sure this is fully new news or anything, nor do I have info on it, but will link a quick video where Jonathan Higgs talks about it from Shot Show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nuhb37xWuw
mxa5022
Groupie

Re: 2014 NA Legal PTW's

Postby TK8456 on Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:04 pm

Always cool to see them

Can't believe Zshot managed to swing KAC to make those
Doesn't get much better
You don't go out looking for a job dressed like that do you, on a weekday?

John Danter TK8456
TK8456

Postby bigwavedave on Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:58 pm

Does anybody have intel on the specific changes that were made to the reciever? Being as I live in the U.S. I'm curious what exactly was modified? In the video it clearly states that Real Steel Uppers will work...which is the case now?
bigwavedave

Postby thundercactus on Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:53 pm

what do you mean "NA" legal?
Canada has no problem getting ptws. this is an american specific problem lol
thundercactus
Expert

Postby j-man19 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:39 pm

What's been the problem with getting PTW's in the states?
j-man19

Postby bigwavedave on Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:12 pm

I don't have specifics but there was issues with ATF taking imports of WE GBBR rifles..

http://pjmedia.com/blog/agents-of-incom ... epage=true

After this scare as I understand it zshot took a confiscation on import of PTW's to the US because of the 1:1 spec nature of the lowers. Fast forward to shot show 2014 and Zshot is introducing US ATF compatible PTW's. So was wondering if any of the distributors on these boards had heard what the specific changes are or even if there are any. Seems like ATF backed off of the original position.

I can hardly believe US real steel manufacturers doing a separate tool up for a PTW, so I'm thinking these may be Real Uppers and Lowers with additonal machining for the gearbox and such...
bigwavedave

Postby kullwarrior on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:22 pm

bigwavedave wrote:I can hardly believe US real steel manufacturers doing a separate tool up for a PTW, so I'm thinking these may be Real Uppers and Lowers with additonal machining for the gearbox and such...

That is probably the most likely case.
I'm surprise American firearm company is going into airsoft. Most gun company go into airsoft are due to survival needs (gov't isn't ordering guns like it used to, and the only customer wants to buy your gun will land your country on front page)
kullwarrior

Postby Touchette on Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:28 pm

Generally speaking, it is illegal to import "assualt rifles" into the US, they must be made in the US to be legal. There are exceptions, but for the general population in the US this is the letter of the law.

The problem was that the PTW lowers, which in the US is the piece of an AR15 that's actually considered the firearm that needs to be serial numbered, were not made in the US. While the PTW lowers are not directly compatible with a real AR15 lower parts kits the way it is produced, it's close enough that the ATF has the authority to block their import.

My guess is that these receivers will use the real AR15 forged lower castings, though they might use lower quality materials than RS, and then be tooled to the PTW internal specs instead. The coding and tooling requirements were probably obtained from Japan and adapted to for the current manufacturing vendor.

Edit: Kull, Knights isn't getting into the airsoft industry, they're custom making a run of lowers for the third party, pretty common practice in the RS industry (though they usually use the same internal specs).
Touchette (Pronounced Two-Shay)
Touchette

Postby Headshot on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:37 pm

I'm still scared that they are just going to be another DTW or CTW with cheaper nock off parts and personally I do not like the flat black color. EVERY other AEG is flat black and part of PTWs is the metallic blue in my opinion. But I could be proven wrong about the quality control we shall see.
Headshot

Postby jaybirdritenour on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:23 am

They will use real 7075t6 milspec forgings and cut them for the PTW on the inside. They will use real genuine Systema PTW parts not the cheap knock off ones. It is Systema USA that got Knights Armament to cut them for the USA approved PTW's. I just hope they have Knights anodize them so we get a real true firearm finish. If Wallace sends them out to an anodizer they might not get finished to the same degree. There is a lot involved with getting it to anodize with the exact same look as a real rifle.

One thing to note is Knights will most likely cut to milspec which means we will have some loose uppers and lowers(not all but some) but once the cylinder is in it will take up the slop. Prime CNC's with higher tolerances between the upper and lowers for a more precise fit than a milspec firearm. But maybe Wallace addressed this with Knights, who knows.
jaybirdritenour

Postby HAVOC on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:59 am

I'm buying a Challenge kit this week (http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Home), will it have the NA legal lower? Or is that only for retailers that are US based?
OP Pine Plains I - PSD
Op Pine Plains II - PSD
Op Pine Plains IV - Bravo 2-6

aka: KLINGER
HAVOC
Groupie

Postby jaybirdritenour on Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:18 pm

Its US only. And they haven't started to ship here yet. It a custom piece from Systema USA only and cnc'd by Knights Armament for them. They may make them available to outside the US but again it will be from Systema USA not Systema Japan as an OEM item.
jaybirdritenour

Next

Return to Airsoft News