PTW Basics

Having problems, question or answer? - post it here.

PTW Basics

Postby gadu on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:33 pm

Hi All,
i am trying to get into the PTW\CTW set of mind and i was wondering if you could help me. I have been looking through the forums, but one thing i seem to be unable to find is a simple noob's list of Do's and Dont's when it comes to the general use and maintenance of your weapon. Also one good thing would be to set up a list of typical things that people have problems with.
Would you like to share your ideas\problems?
Cheers
gadu

Re: PTW basics

Postby TK8456 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:49 pm

Main thing is getting used to the bolt stop catch when you run out of BBs or slap a new mag in.
It's also very temperamental if the spring is not weighted correctly or on the way out.

For a few games I've been changing mags, popping up to shoot and 'nothing' :)
You have to dab the bolt stop to make sure it fires again....and then sometimes you don't :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKvNFBl-7wo

Same as an AEG, before you enter the safe zone or when you finish for the day, fire off one or two shots on semi auto so the cylinder is cycled properly.

It'll have steel parts, so dry it properly after a game. Watch sudden changes in temp to avoid condensation (electrics inside)
You may want to waterproof your rife.

Apart from that, nothing. Best thing I've ever bought as it feels more realistic.
You don't go out looking for a job dressed like that do you, on a weekday?

John Danter TK8456
TK8456

Postby The Reptile House on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:29 pm

A few basics off the top of my head (and all of which you get as part of your handover, if you buy a gun from Tac)...

- Never slap the buffer tube to open the receiver
- Make sure the two holes in the sector gear are clean of crap, so the sensor can work properly
- Rod your mags with the BB loading rod every few games, to make sure the feed lips stay free-feeding
-If the gun gets wet, separate the upper and lower when you get home and air them - with the lower upside down so any liquid can flow out
-If you have Tac's lipo mod, always remove and replace the stock with the gun on it's left side, so as not to foul the cable
-Some people lightly stretch the bolt release spring to ensure the tension remains correct, though I've never had to do that myself
-Use good quality BBs
The Reptile House
Admin Group

Postby Tackleberry on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:37 pm

I will add that you DO NOT need to fire off shots to clear a PTW as you enter the safe zone.

A PTW DOES NOT chamber a round until the trigger is pulled and the firing cycle begins. Once the shot is fired the chamber is empty and thus safe.
When you drop your magazine out there are no BB's left inside the gun.

This is the single biggest advantage of the electronic control system. Unlike a regular AEG you do not get half cycles and the piston stopping in random positions.

The piston and thus the airseal nozzle always return to the same full forward rest postion.

The only exception to this is if your battery is very low and the PTW is unable to complete it's cycle. You will then find you have a BB in the chamber. If this occurs fit fresh battery and fire the gun off in a safe manner.
Or
Take the barrel out and pop the BB through manually.
Please do not ask for discount as refusal often leads to offence....!
Tackleberry
Admin Group

Postby TK8456 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:15 pm

Sweet, that'll save me some battery juice then :)

I guessed that, with the receiver open, when you fire it always stops in the same place, but on full auto it doesn't always stop in the same place.

Or is my gun broken :)
I take it when all complete and meshed up it always still fires a complete cycle even on full auto...?
Last edited by TK8456 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You don't go out looking for a job dressed like that do you, on a weekday?

John Danter TK8456
TK8456

Postby Tackleberry on Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:20 pm

Always...!

The control system stops the gearbox in the same place (just before picking the piston up) every time regardless of fire mode. The important thing, and this is REALLY REALLY important, is that you ensure the two tiny sensor holes in the side of the sector gear are clear and free from grease and dirt.

As long as the sensors see each other it will operate like a metronome.

Just check them after every skirmish.....!
Please do not ask for discount as refusal often leads to offence....!
Tackleberry
Admin Group

Postby mxa5022 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:39 pm

@ TRH

how do you open yr PTW if you dont "slap" the buffer tube area to part open the rifle ?
mxa5022
Groupie

Postby Achilles on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:49 pm

Place the upper receiver on your knees when sat down. You then gently apply pressure on the charging handle and the forward assist knob and increase the pressure until the receiver splits.
Achilles

Postby The Reptile House on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:49 pm

I put it on its side on my lap and apply pressure around the forward assist/charging handle area with my thumbs. A lot of people do something similar with the gun upside down.

Edit: Achilles ninja'd me :)
The Reptile House
Admin Group

Postby Opossum on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:12 pm

I read somewhere you needed to shim it so you needed to give it a good slap to open it. I may have to remove a shim from my buffer cap thing!

I just joined the forum and I'm already learning. Good stuff!
Opossum

Postby old_and_slow on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:04 pm

I take it that 'slapping' the stock to open it is what causes the lower receiver to break or is there another more obvious reason for not doing it.

I am currently a slapper!!
Last edited by old_and_slow on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
old_and_slow
Groupie

Postby The Reptile House on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:06 pm

That's right dude. Breaking the lower or the buffer tube itself.
The Reptile House
Admin Group

Next

Return to Technical Discussion