PTW Basics

Having problems, question or answer? - post it here.

Re: PTW Basics

Postby Arkon on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:53 pm

Hello guys, after reading this I checked my sector gear. It looks like it stops in right position only after semi auto shot ( I can see sensor holes. ) After full auto it stops in wrong position. I cleaned holes, it didn't work. Is that a big problem with my PTW ?
Arkon

Postby The Reptile House on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:02 pm

No, that's fine.
The Reptile House
Admin Group

Postby CQBRTW5 on Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:09 pm

The Reptile House wrote:No, that's fine.

How is that fine? The gearbox should stop in the same place regardless.
CQBRTW5

Postby The Reptile House on Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:43 pm

Open your PTW.

Pull the trigger on auto. The holes are unlikely to line up.

Now pull the trigger on semi. The holes line up.

This is fine. It's why you must also pull the trigger on semi before closing the receiver, so everything lines up.
The Reptile House
Admin Group

Postby Flash on Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:18 pm

its because active braking only works on single i think
Flash

Postby ImNewHere on Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:42 am

Does anyone know the amp draw of a PTW motor?

I have just bought my first PTW, and I was looking to pick up some lipo batteries for it. Knowing the draw of the motor would make my decision a lot easier.

Would an 11.1 with a 30C discharge and 1300 mah capacity be able to supply enough power to the motor, or do I need to go for one with a higher mah?

Also, do the 08 electronics have any trouble with 11.1v lipo's?
ImNewHere

Postby Flash on Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:32 pm

ImNewHere wrote:Does anyone know the amp draw of a PTW motor?

I have just bought my first PTW, and I was looking to pick up some lipo batteries for it. Knowing the draw of the motor would make my decision a lot easier.

Would an 11.1 with a 30C discharge and 1300 mah capacity be able to supply enough power to the motor, or do I need to go for one with a higher mah?

Also, do the 08 electronics have any trouble with 11.1v lipo's?

30 means that the lipo can deliver 30x 1300ma = 39 amps continous... i dont think your ptw is going to draw even half those amps :P
Flash

Postby ImNewHere on Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:36 pm

I was thinking more about peak draw when firing during semi, but it's good to know that it won't be a problem.
ImNewHere

Postby 2nd Ranger on Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:58 am

The general consensus, unless I am mistaken, is that a battery needs to provide at least 30amps to be considered "safe" with a ptw.

Safe meaning the ptw will not try and draw more amps than the battery is capable of suppling, thus preventing stress on the motor and battery. Motor stress will possibly kill a motor and battery stress will cause: puffiness/swelling and heat.
2nd Ranger

Postby thundercactus on Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:56 pm

Depends on the cylinder, it will draw around 15-20A
You're safe using a 25A+ battery with a gold cylinder, I'd say 30A for a red
I was using 15-30C 1200mah batts (18A) for a year with no problems at all, then switched to 25-50C 1200mah. But those 15C lipos were particularly tough, tougher than my 25C batts. Wouldn't recommend running anything less than a 20C on a small battery though.
thundercactus
Expert

Postby Juggler on Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:56 pm

Mine draws between 5 (semi) and 18 (auto) amps, but my motor isn't as high RPM as some.

Also, most LiPo batteries are rated (eg 20C) for "continuous" use meaning over a minute of current draw, and can provide as much as double the amps for "bursts" under a minute. Emptying your mag on full auto wouldn't take that long, so it's safe to assume you don't need to stay fully under it's continuous C rating. You *do* however need to avoid running your gun on a battery that is nearly empty- I think there are several posts on that.

That said, LiPos can be inexpensive (hobbyking anyone?) so spending a few bucks on a battery that far exceeds requirements isn't such a big deal, and you should play it safe if you can. I have a stock that I modified to fit a very small LiPo (350mAh) and picked up a couple of 11.1V 65C batteries (130C burst) - that results in 22.75A continuous / 45A burst. They cost like $11 each... so there's no real reason not to buy something to cover your needs.

I also have heard of some PTWs drawing as much as 30Amps, so maybe aim for a battery that provides above that, you should be set.
Juggler

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion