Barrel Length Dilemma

Having problems, question or answer? - post it here.

Barrel Length Dilemma

Postby hulkpens on Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:29 am

Going to get a 6.01 PDI barrel, but I'm trying to decide which barrel length to get. I have the parts to run both a regular m4 length and cqb length. I would like to get a few opinions on which set-up would be better. My playing conditions are mostly cqb, but more range would be good when shooting across from house to house and in open areas. My dilemma is the weight savings with a shorter barrel versus potentially more range and accuracy with the longer barrel. Has any one noticed significant increase in range and accuracy when moving from cqb to regular length barrels? Keep in mind that I do not have the Tac hop-up mod. Thanks.
M4A1 max 07
hulkpens

Re: Barrel Length Dilemma

Postby Tackleberry on Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:34 am

Simple. Stick with the CQB. It's no more or less accurate than a regular M4 and many will say, myself included, that the CQB is more accurate.

Airsoft guns work in the complete opposite to the real thing. That is the shorter the barrel the better the accuracy.

A good example is to see how far and straight a good marui GBB fires a BB, and that has a barrel no longer than a cigarette.

You would only use a longer barrel to gain muzzel velocity, but to be honest the gain will only be small and it's far more important to get an accurate shot.

it's also worth taking into account that using a 6.01mm barrel does not make an AEG more accurate. It's primary function is to increase muzzel velocity.
The smaller you make the gap around the BB, the less air escapes past it and thus more thrust is applied.

Accuracy is always down to the hop and how well it is maintained and adjusted.
Please do not ask for discount as refusal often leads to offence....!
Tackleberry
Admin Group

Postby lUcIfEr on Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:20 pm

+1 to tac.
Also, ive read in somewhere that the tighter the barrel the less "flow" in the bullet path.
Ive experienced this in marui guns in typical, when i used a PDI 01 it gave me less range compared to the original marui barrels.
Isnt the CQB size cheaper as well?
A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel. - Robert Frost
I just want you to know that, when we talk about war, we're really talking about peace. - George W. Bush
EXTREMELY RIGHTWINGED.
9/11-NEVER FORGET-NEVER FORGIVE
lUcIfEr

Postby Tackleberry on Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:26 pm

For best accuracy the BB needs to travel down the barrel on a cushion of air without touching the inside.

If you make the space between the BB and the barrel to small it will come into contact with the walls of the barrel and this will have a negative affect on the BB's flight path.

Think of it like this.

The only point the BB wants to touch in any part of the barrel once propelled forward is the hop bead. After that any contact with the inside will either reduce or increase backspin. This will then cause the BB to fall short or fly upwards more than intended.

The other effect is if the BB touches the sides it will cause it to hook left or right.

So by making the barrel to tight or too long you will reduce the accuracy of the fired BB.

So the shorter barrel or one with a slightly larger bore will give the best accuracy.

General concensus of opinion is that the ideal barrel length for an AEG is 280mm, and many PTW owners I've spoken too swear blind their TW5's shoot further and straighter than their M4's/CQB-R's.

6.01mm barrels are just a marketing gimick to make you spend more money when you don't need to. The 6.04mm is the ideal size and therefore the barrel that comes with your PTW as standard is perfect for the job.

I won't dispute a PDI 6.04mm barrel is better quality than the Systema item, and it's bore size is more consistant over it's length, but you'll gain little if anything at all by fitting one.

Ironically the best barrel for accuracy would be the original 6.10mm that came with the pre 06 PTW's. Little chance of the BB being influenced by anything other than the hop itself.

Hmmm......maybe I ought to get hold of one and do a hop mod to it and see how it works...........!
Please do not ask for discount as refusal often leads to offence....!
Tackleberry
Admin Group

Postby hulkpens on Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:20 am

Thanks for the replies.

So, the inconsistent bb flight path of hooking left, right, up, and down can't be solved with a 6.01mm? It actually will make it worse? I'm using Javalin .25 and .27s.

BTW, how much fps difference are we talking about when moving from 6.04 to 6.01 mm? I think my rifle is shooting 336 with .25s.

So it seems as my barrel stands, 6.04 mm and cqb length, it is the best it will shoot without the tac mod.

I guess I should spend my money on the hop-up mod instead. Although, I hate the ideal of sending the barrel overseas. Does anyone do this mod in the states?

Thanks again.
M4A1 max 07
hulkpens

Postby Kingwell on Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:10 pm

if you havent done the hop mod yet... GET IT DONE

its by far the biggest improvement you can do to the consistency of a ptw
Kingwell

Postby adz4play on Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:58 pm

most deff, spend your cash on the hop mod..even worth the extra to send to blighty...
adz4play

Postby fredohyeah on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:35 am

Well tac did you try the hop mod on the 6.10 barrel, i'm dying to know?
[color=#FF0000]loyalty above all else,except honour[/color]
http://redcellairsoft.com/
fredohyeah

Postby rackcitymitch on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:50 am

Kingwell wrote:if you havent done the hop mod yet... GET IT DONE

its by far the biggest improvement you can do to the consistency of a ptw

i have the TW5, should i do the tac mod as well??

what is a tac mod?
2012 Super Max
Follow me on Instagram - Rackcitymitch_
rackcitymitch
Groupie

Postby Eko on Sat May 04, 2013 4:19 pm

i have shorten my barrel exactly to 280mm because i was changing outer barrel length to CQBR and i have to tell that FPS accuranc is exactly the same ... with RED 520+ fps (i use 0,36g BB .. perfect first hit for 60-70m)
Eko

Return to Technical Discussion