08 Supermax No response, possible dead motor, please help

All the information that is relevant to MAX Model 2008 weapons.

08 Supermax No response, possible dead motor, please help

Postby Toad on Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:28 am

Hi! Recently i bought a used 08 PTW. Ive shot it around plenty in my backyard just adjusting the hop-up and shooting cans. Today I took it to a game, and 5 minutes into it, it broke.

When it died on me, I was shooting someone. As I was shooting at this person, in semi auto, my gun started to sound like my battery was dying, over a course of 3 or 4 shots, really quick together. When i put a new, fully charged, battery on the gun, it still wasnt working. So this is NOT a battery problem.

Upon opening the receiver, i seen the red LED blinking. If i disconnect the battery, and reconnect it, the blinking stops, then when i switch the gun from safe to semi, it blinks one time. Then when i pull the trigger, I get no response expect the red LED starts flashing again. In the 08 manual, it says if that happens, the holes in the sector gear need to be cleaned, also maybe the ECU where the inferred light goes through the sector gear holes. So i cleaned it all with a Q-tip and alcohol.

after doing that all that, my gun cycles one, then just stopped again, so i did the process again, I got the gun to cycle a few times, no more then 6, then it died again. Also, when it cycled, it just didnt sound as strong as it should sound. The motor sounded a little weak, like it was using an almost dead battery.

So, I think this is a motor problem. Im trying to order a new motor, but since i have this 08 SUPERMAX model I dont know exactly one to get. can someone please help me with this?
Toad

Re: 08 Supermax No response, possible dead motor, please help

Postby Romba on Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:00 am

My 07 did the same thing. Died quickly, cleaned sector holes and everything, but it was my motor that died. Replaced the brushes which let it run for a few hours, but that didn't work. Upon closer inspection my comm was done, but yours could be different. Don't order a new one, send your motor to Tackleberry (I'm sure he will jump in.)
Romba

Postby Toad on Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:40 pm

okay man, thanks for the input. I was thinking about ordering systemas new KUMI 490 type, but i might just try tackleberry first.
Toad

Postby thundercactus on Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:12 pm

According to master macguyver, when the lipo gets low in voltage and reaches the voltage drop, the motor tries to draw an incredible amount of amperage to make up for the lost voltage, said amperage isn't supplied by a near dead battery, the rest is a bit complicated but suffice it to say it wrecks motors every time.
I assume you're using a lipo since there was a very steep 3-4 round voltage drop, as opposed to a NiCd where the drop is very gradual.

Short version, your motor is pooched. Keep in mind how many mags you went through because it's the best way to gauge battery life.
For example, I change batteries every 12 full mags. Seems like a lot, but with such an accurate platform, those mags last a long time.

If you want to confirm that your motor is dead;
Take off the grip
hook up a battery
try to shoot
if nothing happens, rotate the armature a few "clicks" and repeat

If you find there's a "zone" where the motor fails to start, that means the windings have been damaged and the motor needs to be rewound.

Now don't feel bad. Dead motors happen. Fact of owning a PTW.
I had the exact same thing happen to my ptw I bought used. It had an early 490 motor, and the previous owner used only NiCd batteries for 4 years. I hooked up a lipo and the motor died the first game I used it. Did the same thing as you where I ran the battery dry.

And lipo alarms won't necessarily work either. Firstly, most are meant for constant draw applications and are too sensitive for airsoft guns; most tend to beep every time you shoot due to the voltage drop.
And the voltage drop-off for a PTW happens around the 3.4v/cell mark, whereas most lipo alarms don't go off until a cell hits 3.3v
thundercactus
Expert

Postby SCASM on Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:25 pm

Came here to post this exact problem with my 08 MAX. Did you figure out exactly what it was? Mine only cycles if I force the gears to move a little then shoot semi. Cycles once or twice then led begins blinking again. Cleaned the holes on sector gear, same story :|
SCASM

Postby ukpred on Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:56 pm

Had same problem sent my ptw to Tac and had all the mods done came back and runs like new. :D :D :D
ukpred

Return to Generation MAX Model 2008