Suzutomo HK416 Lower Reciever

Reviews on parts for the PTW platform.

Suzutomo HK416 Lower Reciever

Postby lUcIfEr on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:19 pm

So, the review section has been up for a while without any posts, and I decided to make some contributions. ;) (And I just finished my Final Exams...!)

*Please right click and select "View Image" to see the full picture.

I will be reviewing the Suzutomo(http://suzutomo.militaryblog.jp/) HK416 Lower Receiver for the PTW.
Currently(28/Jul/2012) this is the only aftermarket lower that faithfully replicates the 416 lower we all have been craving for.(Also the original design...!)

The receiver is machined from a solid block A6061 by a Siemens 6-Axis CNC Machine, Hard-Anodized, than KG-Gunkoted in HK Black. Final inspection and selector coloring are done by hand from experienced people at Suzutomo here in Japan.

Installing the receiver is extremely smooth, no need to file, grind, shave anything from the lower, unlike other competitors. (Using a Systema Gearbox and PF-490 Motor)

The highlights of the lower is that they have "correct" markings (I will explain this later), and external dimensions are taken from a RS HK Lower by a 3D Scanner. Internals are perfectly machined to fit with the original Systema dimensions, no slightly off motor angles like other competitors.

As you can see in the picture, the left side of the magwell is marked "Ashburn, VA" instead of the regular "Sterling, VA" . This is marked on all HK416's that has a date code from AF to BB(2005-2011 production) on its receiver, since HK moved their Sterling facility to Ashburn, VA in 2004. The fonts are also different on the Ashburn markings, compared with the Sterling markings.
Every HK416 kit I saw(even the GBB VFC416's) have this part messed up, all conversion kits with a "AF" date code on its upper still has the "Sterling, VA" markings on its lower, so this might be appealing to some "no-compromise" people.

If you want, you can personalize the serials, markings, etc...on request.

Now for the bad part...
With a MSRP of 58,800JPY(748USD), its the most expensive lower receiver in existence.
But again, that's all the downsides of this lower... :mrgreen:

Also, I have been talking with some people who are associated with Suzutomo, and they are concerned about exporting it overseas, since they are afraid other manufactures will make copies(as always) out of the lower by simply scanning it and putting it into a CNC machine. This story is from a few month back, so I don't know their current policy is about exporting but...wont hurt to ask I guess. ;)

In conclusion, the Suzutomo HK416 lower is not for everyone's needs, but will definitely suit those who want nothing but the best. This lower receiver beats the sh*t out of every other competitor on market in every aspect expect for price. Remember, "Good sh*t ain't cheap, cheap shi*t ain't good..."

Thanks for reading, and please feel free to ask questions or comment. :D
A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel. - Robert Frost
I just want you to know that, when we talk about war, we're really talking about peace. - George W. Bush
EXTREMELY RIGHTWINGED.
9/11-NEVER FORGET-NEVER FORGIVE
lUcIfEr

Re: Suzutomo HK416 Lower Reciever

Postby The Reptile House on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:36 pm

I'm not a massive 416 fan, but the quality of that lower sounds awesome. Nice review, as usual, Luc and congratulations on your finals :)
The Reptile House
Admin Group

Postby Heinz on Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:16 am

Nice review. Lovely looking bit of kit you have there, and worth every penny I reckon! Not sure why the manufacturer is so worried about exporting them though - it's not as though a lot of kit in Japan hasn't found it's way to HK and beyond by unnofficial routes anyway. I could, however, see issues over the trademarks crop up if imported into the US or Europe by a company not an individual (mind you, with US Customs, probably individuals and companies!)

Interestingly, Andaxworks.jp say they will ship abroad and have them in stock at the moment.

**edits** Congrats on getting through your Finals as well :)
Heinz
Groupie

Postby lUcIfEr on Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:36 am

Thank you gentlemen for your compliments. It means alot to me. ;)

Yeah, I just talked with some people this morning, and they to have realized their stuff will go overseas anyways...so they decided to compete with other manufactures by making the lower with the best quality they can give. A higly favorable approach. :)

The trademark issue is probably a concern as well, if shipping overseas, its probably best to have the logos covered with a tape...like most airsoft guns do when shipped abroad. Logo issues are one of the shady parts of this hobby so... :roll:
A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel. - Robert Frost
I just want you to know that, when we talk about war, we're really talking about peace. - George W. Bush
EXTREMELY RIGHTWINGED.
lUcIfEr

Postby vltor on Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:40 am

lUcIfEr wrote:With a MSRP of 58,800JPY(748USD), its the most expensive lower receiver in existence.

I have to disagree with that, that title belongs FCC's XM177 body kit. retails for $899.99 on ebay.
vltor
Groupie

Postby The Reptile House on Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:57 am

lUcIfEr wrote:...so they decided to compete with other manufactures by making the lower with the best quality they can give. A higly favorable approach. :)

This ^

This is an excellent strategy for the PTW market and should be applauded, given the only other choice we have is the FCC kit.

vltor wrote:
lUcIfEr wrote:With a MSRP of 58,800JPY(748USD), its the most expensive lower receiver in existence.

I have to disagree with that, that title belongs FCC's XM177 body kit. retails for $899.99 on ebay.

Jesus. In my experience FCC stuff seems a little overpriced - but I put that down to the niche they've found and who wouldn't charge more, if people are prepared to pay?

Bear in mind the Suzutomo price is for the lower ONLY, not a full kit - so I think it still stands as the most expensive lower and quite rightly so, judging by how the quality sounds.
The Reptile House
Admin Group

Postby V.A.K on Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:24 am

:o Thank you lucifier and good luck with your finals, I had originally intened to purchase an FCC kit, but now I'll just mill out the VFC gbb upper I've got and use one of these ;) Once I've had a clear out of stuff I shall be contacting you to get me one!
PTW URX, PTW DIEMACO
V.A.K
Groupie

Postby lUcIfEr on Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:44 pm

V.A.K wrote::o Thank you lucifier and good luck with your finals, I had originally intened to purchase an FCC kit, but now I'll just mill out the VFC gbb upper I've got and use one of these ;) Once I've had a clear out of stuff I shall be contacting you to get me one!

No problem, hit me a PM once you're ready and I will see how I can help you. ;)
EXTREMELY RIGHTWINGED.
lUcIfEr

Postby bepar231183 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:52 pm

You have a PM my friend :D
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace". Thomas Payne
bepar231183

Postby TwinGear on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:55 pm

Very nice indeed, thank you for the good review! Maybe I'll buy one next week.
PTW M4A1 Max - CTW M4A1 MX3
TwinGear

Return to PTW parts review section