RS Magpul STR Stock - Commercial Spec

Reviews on parts for the PTW platform.

RS Magpul STR Stock - Commercial Spec

Postby The Reptile House on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:58 pm

I've been using the Magpul CTR (Compact Type Restricted) stock on my PTW builds for around two years now and it's been faultless. I'm not someone who believes Magpul can do no wrong, but I do like utilitarian kit that just works. The aesthetics of many of their designs remain a huge bonus, however.

The CTR is a very popular design in the real steel world as well as in airsoft, due to its light weight, compact size, shielded operation paddle and friction lock - the latter which locks the stock firmly to the buffer tube.

The friends I play airsoft with will tell you I don't do wobble ;)

I spotted the Magpul STR (Storage Type Restricted) a few months back and liked the idea - not because I want to store batteries in each side of the stock, but because I fancied a comfortable cheek weld. I always found the CRANE stock comfortable, from the very first AEG I bought in 2005 (a Classic Army CQB).

However, in gaining the cheek weld in the STR, you make a hefty sacrifice in weight gain - 350g to the CTR's 250g. But oh! How comfortable that cheek weld is! :)

Naturally I went for a commercial spec model.

Needless to say, the stock looks extremely sturdy. You can find more survivability info on the CTR and STR, in Gear Scout's Butt Stock Bashfest:

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/02/01/buttstock-bashfest-gearscout-finds-out-just-how-far-tough-talk-goes/#more

On to the packaging...sorry about the pic quality:

The box is pretty sturdy and the stock is enclosed in a plastic bag:

There's various paraphernalia in the box, including fitting instructions and a Magpul sticker, along with a plastic bullet:

The bullet is for leveraging the locking pin over the end stop on the bottom of the stock tube, if your stock tube hasn't been milled.

Anyway, onto the stock.

Some comparison shots with the CTR. Notice the layouts are extremely similar, including the location of the QD sling mount holes:

And here's what it looks like on. Buffer tube is OEM Systema:

I'll update this review thread when I get to use it. As mentioned above, the cheek weld is extremely comfortable :)

Big thanks to Biscuitdunker for recommending the eBay seller :D

These are also available from Tackleberry, along with the rest of the RS Magpul range.

Update 04 September 2012

I used the stock in anger for the first time on the weekend and I didn't notice any difference in play to my normal CTR...which is a good thing :)

I soon forgot how comfortable it was, until I got a CTR equipped gat out and it felt like holding a razor to my cheek ;)

One word of advice, if you have the lipo mod: make sure your connector doesn't get dragged by the stock when taking it off or putting it on. Unlike the CTR, the STR has recesses inside, where the storage pods lock in, which can foul the wiring. The way I got around it was by making the wiring snug with an elastic band.
The Reptile House
Admin Group

Re: RS Magpul STR Stock

Postby Mr. Icecube on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:26 am

Looks very nice. Had a MOE stock once, which I really liked, but sold it because I missed my cheek rest.
This looks like a good compromise.

Where did you get it from?
Mr. Icecube

Postby The Reptile House on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:23 am

eBay. There are a few on there that ship to the EU :)

Mine was from american_foods.

I would normally go to Tac first for something like this (my CTRs are from Tac), but he was awaiting a Magpul order at the time and I was impulsive ;)
The Reptile House
Admin Group

Postby biscuitdunker on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:43 am

Nice one Rich.

You will have to let me know the name of your "man" in customs that processed yours faster than mine!
I'm honking on a rock of pure airsoft. For kicks.

biscuitdunker

Postby mugur on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:09 pm

Rich, for the stock tube of systema, the STR has to be commercial or mil-spec?
Quality only hurts once!
mugur
Groupie

Postby The Reptile House on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:12 pm

Good question - I'm using the OEM Systema buffer tube and a commercial spec stock. The STR does come in mil spec as well, however.

I've edited the title for clarity :)

biscuitdunker wrote:You will have to let me know the name of your "man" in customs that processed yours faster than mine!

Fingers crossed you'll have yours soon, Stu :)
The Reptile House
Admin Group

Re: RS Magpul STR Stock - Commercial Spec

Postby The Reptile House on Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:44 pm

After being prompted on the TW forum, I realised I'd completely missed evaluating the battery compartments!

As you can see from the pics below, I don't think there's any chance of getting lipos in the stock. Two AA batteries fit on each side, though. I guess it would also take three CR123s on each side, judging by the diameter of the void. That would make sense.

One thing I noticed is that the battery compartment end caps are rubbery and seal nicely over the compartment ends. You won't be losing those like CRANE stock caps :)

The Reptile House
Admin Group

Postby mxa5022 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:58 am

Good review, ive been stuck on either a ubr or str for my secondary upper thatd be running 14.5in barrels. I think u sold me on the str, as it will be easier and cheaper to do
mxa5022
Groupie

Postby The Reptile House on Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:38 pm

Thanks dude :)

IIRC, the UBR is a little on the heavy side and the mods involved in battery placement are considerable. Consequently, battery changes are too involved for me. However, the UBR does look amazing and you can feel the quality in both the materials and the extending action. A mate has a Tac modded UBR setup and it's da bomb! The UBR also came top in Gear Scout's buttstock bash fest. It's super-strong.

Anyway...just got the STR back after being Tackleberry modded - cheers T - so it now fits as solidly as my Tac modded CTR stocks, with absolutely no play whatsoever :)

Tac has also made the battery pods removable, so I can configure the STR as an STR-L(ight) - a bit like how the ACR comes in two versions - ACS and ACS-L.

The Reptile House
Admin Group

Postby The Reptile House on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:02 pm

Here's the hex bolt, which replaces the factory rivet in the Tac mod:

For hi-speed, lo-drag weight-saving freaks, here it is in STR-L mode (imagine the butt plate is screwed on)...you still get an enhanced cheek weld, which is nice:

No doubt Magpul will release a factory STR-L at some point but until then, it's nice to have the modularity - thanks T! :)
The Reptile House
Admin Group

Postby The Reptile House on Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:11 am

Original review updated with after action report :)
The Reptile House
Admin Group

Postby Hades on Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:34 pm

I like this stock, much more than the ACS-L, and CTR.
"do I really look like a guy with a plan?"
Hades
Groupie

Next

Return to PTW parts review section