Tackleberry RS Pmags

Reviews on parts for the PTW platform.

Tackleberry RS Pmags

Postby The Reptile House on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:50 pm

I've been using Tackleberry's RS Pmag conversions for about a year now and I consider them the benchmark against which all RS Pmag conversions should be judged.

To start with the basics, next to Systema mags, Pmags are very light and ergonomic with a low profile but effective grip pattern. My lower back used to ache after carting around Systema mags all day, so lighter mags are highly enabling for me, physically - and that was one of the key reasons I thought these were worth the investment.

The way Tac's Pmag has been milled is top notch. As advertised, the 'shoulders' at the business end of the mag are recessed within the PMag body - there are no cut-outs. This alone separates Tac's conversions from most of the other RS Pmags I've seen to date.

The inner sits straight and true - nothing like the off-centredness of the Rampo version I tried previously - and of course the markings are totally authentic. No talk of "Airsoft Use Only" here.

The inner can move downwards 2-3mm (the 'float'), but there is no movement in any other direction. The floating inner ensures the mag's contact with the hop unit is consistent. The inner is retained at the top of the mag through interference, by a thin pin.

I was concerned, initially, that this pin was a weak point and would not stand the test of time. But one year in and the pins have remained perfectly robust. The only issue I have had is that one worked its way out slightly and wedged a mag, momentarily, in the magwell. The remaining nine haven't budged.

The float is driven by the original RS follower, which has been milled flat and the spring cut to size. RS Pmags are renowned for their anti-jamming and smooth feeding properties - so if it's good enough for real world operators, it's good enough for me :)

Inserting and withdrawing these mags from pouches feels smoother than the standard mag, with fewer sharp edges and the inner's cut-off lever is more enclosed - but I suppose it depends on which mag pouches you use (I've also been using Zulu Nylon Gear pouches for the last year).

Inserting the mag into the magwell, there's a very positive, confident click with none of the wobble of standard Systema mags - which I see as an upgrade, functionally. If you yank the mag around a bit, it will move slightly - but it's not going to move while running around etc. No problem with seating - just a solid push and it's there.

And the money shot - feeding has been nothing less than perfect. I now rod my mags less frequently, because given that the feed lips are less likely to be deformed by the movement of the mag against the hop, I can't see the point.

The downside? When I first used the mags, they didn't drop as sharpish on release as Systema mags. However, after repeated drops on hard surfaces, I can attest to how hardy these mags really are.

Another potential downside is I'm unsure when Tac is making his next batch - although I've heard that he will convert Pmags if you are able to source your own.

So why review these mags if they are like hen's teeth? As I mentioned at the start, I consider these Pmags to be the benchmark. I'm looking forward to other manufacturers raising their game, to compete with the gold standard represented here.

Update September 2012

I mentioned above that when I initially used the mags they didn't drop as freely as I'd liked, but with use they dropped fine. I've now observed them more closely and it seems that they don't just fall out when released, but the mag's spring system propels them out - so they possibly 'drop' faster than gravity alone allows.
The Reptile House
Admin Group

Re: Tackleberry RS Pmags

Postby biscuitdunker on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:57 pm

Nice review Rich.

Can see a spend coming.......... :?
I'm honking on a rock of pure airsoft. For kicks.

biscuitdunker

Postby The Reptile House on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:21 pm

Many thanks Stu :)
The Reptile House
Admin Group

Postby Mrck on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:05 pm

Rich, how much do the converted shells cost? i.e. I don't want to send all my mags off for conversion, can I just buy the shells ready to go?

I am going to be going into the Pmag market, and at the moment the options are PTW airsoft (LOL) JD airsoft or Tac.

Obviously i would like to stay loyal to JD, but I am eager to try out something Tac has had his hands on.
PTW Max2 / TM 1911 Custom
Win a STTS HK416 Upper :: Click here
Mrck
Groupie

Postby The Reptile House on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:10 pm

The shells alone were £35 each which, while pricey, buys the gold standard, IMO :)

I already had the inners - they were transplanted from my Systema mags as part of the service.
The Reptile House
Admin Group

Postby Mrck on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:20 pm

Everythings the gold standard with you!
PTW Max2 / TM 1911 Custom
Win a STTS HK416 Upper :: Click here
Mrck
Groupie

Postby The Reptile House on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:24 pm

lol :D
The Reptile House
Admin Group

Postby rizla on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:01 am

Not making more, bugger!

Was hoping to get some with my next order
rizla

Postby The Reptile House on Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:36 pm

I think I may be mistaken on that point, so I'll amend my review.

A couple of people on the TW forum have commented that Tac is waiting for Pmags, but will convert your own Pmags for £25 a pop :)
The Reptile House
Admin Group

Postby rizla on Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:21 pm

Phew!
rizla

Postby The Reptile House on Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:27 pm

Review updated.
The Reptile House
Admin Group

Postby Blackjack13 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:44 pm

I already have four of these, with another three winging their merry way to me as I type, so this is more a technical question rather than one of quality. Though I can definitely support watch TRH has said; quality and build is solid, no feed issues, etc.

Is there an easy way/trick to removing the base plates? I currently have Ranger Plates on all of mine, and would like to put the original flat plates for better compatibility with the closed-top pouches I'm going to be using. I know you're meant to compress the middle tab and then just slide them off, but I can't figure out how to get it to the point that the baseplate just slides off.

Cheers
Blackjack13

Next

Return to PTW parts review section