Rampo's PMAGs

Reviews on parts for the PTW platform.

Rampo's PMAGs

Postby lUcIfEr on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:03 am

Hi Guys n Gals,

My second review will be the Rampo's PMAGs.
This is a outershell replacement for your heavy, bulky, and rusty Steel Systema Magazine outers.

Let me jump to conclusions first.
These are probably the most cost-effective upgrade for your PTW. I recommend ANYONE who has a PTW to get these shells, unless you're really with realism or old-school, or a masochist who loves burdening the heavy weight of carrying 2kg+ of magazines on you with other stuff...(Gun, armor, plate, helmets, etc...) :lol:

This can be purchased from Rampo, who is a member in this forum here.
http://www.systema-ptw.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6251
They are 26USD per each, and he has a special deal of 95USD for 4.
The package comes with the following:
1x Shell
1x Foam
1x Floor Plate
1x Floor Plate Stopper

First is the build quality and installation.

Here is a demonstration of the Shell's strength.
http://youtu.be/AKaKrWx1cC0
As you can see in the video from Youtube, these shells are STRONG. They are prominent from breaking or denting because they are made from high-density polymer.

Installing your original Systema inner into this PMAG is easy, and requires absolutely no modification. (It's so easiy I wouldn't be surprised if a chimpanzee can do it :) )

Take out the two roll-pins on your original Magazines, pull out the inner. Nothing other than the roll pins should be removed from your original lower. Than, remove the floor plate on the magazine and the white sponge that comes with it.

NEVER EVER Throw this sponge away. This acts as a cushion/spring to give the inner of the magazine upward force, so the lips of the magazine is pressed firmly against your hop-up chamber, eliminating any misfeeding issues.

Than insert the inner into the shell.

Press down on the inner until 80% of the inner is in the shell.

Flip the magazine downwards, and insert the sponge, the stopper for the floor plate, and finally the floorplate.

Once you have done that, press down the inner completely.

See? Easy n simple.

Second I will talk about the markings.
The markings closely replicates the real PMAG, and it has some additional markings such as "For Professional Training System/Airsoft Use Only."
I personally like this marking, every time I see it makes me feel as a proud PTW user, and not some Marui BS. ;)

Finally, I will talk about reliability.

The magazines work flawlessly. Depending on some PTW's, you may have horrible misfeeding issues on your PTW, because of badly placed chambers, etc... but this is not the magazine's problem but yours. Go get your gun fixed! :mrgreen:

Using Marui 0.2 / Systema 0.2 BB's and original Systema 0.25 inners, this magazine never had issues with PTW's ranging from the early 2005 models up to the latest ones. This test was conducted by loading 120rounds on the magazine, and dumping the magazine with a single trigger in full-auto.

Some may be concerned about the design, because it does not use any roll-pins for keeping the magazine in place. However, this has never been a problem, because the inners sit firmly inside the shell, even when dropped. If you're still concerned, you can always drill a hole and pin the inners in.

Additionally, the reduced weight will mean less momentum on your magazine inners if you drop them. The polymer structure also helps protect the magazine from damage. This will alow you to do the Costa's "Flip my gun N my mag can fly" technique. :roll:

Thanks for reading, and feel free to ask any questions. :D
A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel. - Robert Frost
I just want you to know that, when we talk about war, we're really talking about peace. - George W. Bush
EXTREMELY RIGHTWINGED.
9/11-NEVER FORGET-NEVER FORGIVE
lUcIfEr

Re: Rampo's PMAGs

Postby The Reptile House on Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:54 pm

Another excellent review, mate :D

lUcIfEr wrote:The magazines work flawlessly

You've obviously not experienced feeding issues, but how do the inners sit in the shell? Mine weren't true and I had difficulties inserting the mag into the gun.

I've heard of some people shimming theirs to fit and others having no problems at all.

Not a great pic, but just to illustrate, with Vanaras inner:

The Reptile House
Admin Group

Postby Purvins on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:44 pm

My Vanaras inners sit just the same way as pictured in the shell, I have however not had a single misfeed with them with a couple of thousand bullets through, no issues with fitting either, and they fall upon release.
Purvins

Postby The Reptile House on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:51 pm

Yeah dude - that's why I put this :D

The Reptile House wrote:I've heard of some people...having no problems at all.

I suspect I was unlucky with my batch and may be a lone voice.

Plus there's my OCD to consider ;)

So is it a feature of the mags that the inner doesn't sit true?

Is there a benefit to that, or just that on the whole there are no dis-benefits?
The Reptile House
Admin Group

Postby tangman on Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:38 am

Good review lUcIfEr, I now have a urge to get some of the Blue shells :shock:

I have 8 and am happy with mine, would recommend them to anyone, there are one or two niggles but easily resolved.

My internal cassette's don't sit true either (using Systema Non HW and HW cassette's). I think the reason they sit like that is due to the lack of the pins/pinholes.

I don't think there are any inherent disadvantages, I've fired between 8-10,000 BB's with no misfeed's or chops through mine.

I would prefer if they were drilled for the cassette pins though.

Firstly so that the cassette's sit true (I also have a bit of OCD but I can live with how they are now ;) ).

Secondly so that the cassette is secured and has absolutely no chance of coming out - not that I have EVER had any of my cassette's come loose (I have put some velcro on the cassette and the inside of the shell though for piece of mind)

Thirdly, I find the sponge/spacer that is used to keep the cassette in contact with the hop unit to be too soft. It loses it's rigidity and shape very quickly which can result in misfeeds or leave the cassette 1-2mm too low so that the empty magazine tab is too low to trigger the bolt catch ergo losing the mag out feature on the PTW.

Straight out of the box my foam lost it's rigidity/shape after inserting the cassette's in for the first time. I ended up making my own spacer's. I popped into my local stationery shop and bought some rubber pencil eraser's, just standard rectangular ones. Through trial and error I cut the right sized spacer. I wrapped it in electrical tape and use that instead of the foam now, I think I used 2 erasers for 8 Pmags. They are firm enough that you can just use a small piece (it doesn't have to cover the entire floor plate) mine are around 20mm x 15mm x 8mm.

I've done that to all my Pmag's now and have not had any problems at all with them, they all feed flawlessly and the mag out function has always worked.

I like the fact that they lock in so easily (presumably because they're plastic and have a bit of flex) rather than the solid Steel mags which require a very solid push pull movement to ensure they are locked in (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). However, if the steel mags were the same weight as a real loaded 30 round STANAG mag I would definitely use them though.
tangman

Postby lUcIfEr on Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:15 pm

Hi guys, thanks for the comments.
Regarding the issue of the tilting of the inners, im not sure...i never experienced with any of the 50mags i got from Rampo. Btw i order alot to share it with my friends, they're not all mine :mrgreen:

However, all mags used a Systema inner, will be getting ones with vanaras inners soon from Rampo, so I cant speak anything about this issue.
If you are concerned, you can place your original PTW magazine on top of your PMAG, make sure the pin holes are aligned and on the same position, use a sharp-edged tool like a nail, and make a hole through your PMAG for the roll-pins.
A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel. - Robert Frost
I just want you to know that, when we talk about war, we're really talking about peace. - George W. Bush
EXTREMELY RIGHTWINGED.
lUcIfEr

Postby JetL on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:09 am

lUcIfEr

Forgive my ignorance, but are Rampo's PMAG shells his own design and manufacture?

Thanks again for another great review.

J
JetL

Postby lUcIfEr on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:18 pm

Hi J,

Sorry for the late reply...was having some horrible log-in problems because of shi*ty internet here... :oops:
Im not sure about the origins of the design and etc, but it certainly is a wisely executed design. :?
Maybe Rampo himself can chime in?
EXTREMELY RIGHTWINGED.
lUcIfEr

Postby Cr@sh on Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:41 pm

The solution to miss aligned vanaras inners in Rampos pmag shells.... two small squares of foam. ;)

Simply glue them on to the inners and the will sit perfectly in the pmag shell.

Last edited by Cr@sh on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cr@sh

Postby macguyver on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:06 pm

I have some of these as well. There is other modifications to make.

I have Systema internals in mine, I'm not a fan of Vanaras at all. To keep the mag guts sitting properly in the shell, I built similar shims as above. As well, to keep the guts in the shell, I tapped in an M4 x 6 set screw in the spine just above the tab on the guts at the bottom. I also tossed that foam spacer in the trash, it was useless. I installed a larger piece of closed-cell foam and installed ranger plates, then pushed the guts down and secured them under a little tension with the foam.

Now, not only are the guts centred in the shell, but the ranger plate will not come off, the guts can not be pushed out nor do they rattle around.
The Anti-Radical Radical
macguyver

Return to PTW parts review section