FCC CNC Gearbox Review

Reviews on parts for the PTW platform.

FCC CNC Gearbox Review

Postby Lee on Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:43 am

Since the release of Systemas response of FCC's CNC gearbox and the reply from FCC regarding their product, I've decided to confirm each sides take of the gearbox and take a look first hand as a user.

Dayrith from the forums was nice enough to provide this gearbox to test, FCC has made a video of their gears friction test against a Systema OEM gears so I will not be disassembling his gearbox.

FCC CNC Gearbox Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1_bOH-QP0k

FCC Friction Comparison Test
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xzEmbNZW74

FCC's Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fight-Clu ... 9405958297

FCC's Website
http://ptwcustom.com/

FCC Completed Gearbox (Speed)- 420USD+Shipping
- Fine tuned and pre-set by FCC w/ six months guarantee (Parts Included)
- A6061-T6 CNC Machined Gearbox Case
- All Enhanced Steel lathe gear set
- CNC Race Trigger Included

First Impressions:
Nothing fancy about the packing, no damages or scratches to the gearbox. Right away you can tell the difference in weight between the two. On the top side of the gearbox FCC placed their logo and a unique serial number for the gearbox which provides organization for future times. The sector gears also has 'Fight Club Custom' on it which is a nice add on in my opinion.

As noted by FCC in their videos, their gears spin at a more smoother rate than the OEMs, I was able to confirm this.
Here's a link to their response, http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/news2/38654

FCC CNC Gearbox next to a Systema OEM Gearbox
Some side by side comparisons

Installation
Starting off with a Systema OEM lower receiver, FCC's CNC gearbox fits in with some pressure from just your hands. It is a little tighter than an OEM gearbox for sure.

Next the electronics, every piece meshes perfectly with the FCC gearbox, the selector switch board clicks in nicely and the four prongs align perfectly and the CPU slides in with ease. No problem here.

Installing it into my Prime lower was another story, the gearbox was very tight and pinched a small piece of the red wire from my selector board wires. When the gearbox was about 3/4ths way in I noticed and rushed to pull it out, I could not use my hands to get the gearbox out. Pushing upwards from the trigger, prying the sides of the gearbox where your two screws go wouldn't work. I had to remove my trigger guard, stick a punch right in the trigger opening and lightly tapped it out, took about 4-5 taps then the rest was to wiggle out. Check on my wire and reinserted the gearbox, on this part it was able to go in 3/4ths again and no wires pinching, I put a cloth over the top side of the gear box on the FCC logo and lightly tapped it in, about three taps with a regular hammer. Once in I could then connect the control cable to the CPU, wires tucked in nicely and reinserted the plastic strip over the wires. (This plastic pieces requires a little more push compared to with an OEM gearbox installed but still remains flush)

Selector Switch
This gearbox doesn't come with the small ball bearing, spring or set screw which holds you fire selector switch in place. You have to remove it from your OEM gearbox. Removing the set screw and spring is easy but removing the tiny ball bearing isn't, my trick was to get a piece of wire (had a Tokyo Marui G36 trigger contact wires on the side) bend the wire in an 'L' shape and push the ball bearing out. Be careful not to lose it!

Conclusions
FCC's CNC gearbox seems to be very promising in the long run, the finish is top notch, installation is VERY easy apart from fitting the gearbox into your lower and quality work compared to other companies. The race trigger is a nice addition and unique look. Though the price may be almost a fourth of the cost of a new PTW, you pay for high quality reinforced product from FCC. So far I am impressed by FCC and hope they continue to roll out more quality parts for our PTWs.

Feel free to ask questions and I will do my best to reply, thank you for reading! :D

Soon to come:
FCC Motor vs 480 and 490 Motors
FCC Mini MOSFET w/ Size Comparisons
Last edited by Lee on Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lee

Re: FCC CNC Gearbox Review

Postby The Reptile House on Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:47 am

Good review, Lee :D

Almost a non-gearbox question, but how are you finding the Race Trigger? Just bought one myself and I'm still contemplating whether to use it or not, just in case I don't get on with it.

Is the transition from the original trigger OK and can you feel the shorter trigger pull?
The Reptile House
Admin Group

Postby macguyver on Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:24 pm

That gearbox was bone dry. No grease on the gears at all.

I would be ripping that sucker out and greasing it properly.
The Anti-Radical Radical
macguyver

Postby Lee on Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:38 pm

The Reptile House wrote:Good review, Lee :D

Almost a non-gearbox question, but how are you finding the Race Trigger? Just bought one myself and I'm still contemplating whether to use it or not, just in case I don't get on with it.

Is the transition from the original trigger OK and can you feel the shorter trigger pull?

Thank you haha, from comparing the two triggers, FCC has a more crisp pull than the OEM trigger probably due to heavier spring. Straight triggers feel nice and is a different look IMO :lol:

macguyver wrote:That gearbox was bone dry. No grease on the gears at all.

I would be ripping that sucker out and greasing it properly.

Upon opening, it did seem to have very little to no grease at all, you can especially notice from the macro picture of the bevel gear, however, after spinning of the gears freely by hand, grease was noticeable. Right now after firing, the FCC sector and spur gear look exactly like my two OEM spur/sector.

Later I will remove the gear box and transfer it to another lower and will inspect the grease with some pics :)
Lee

Postby bradnuts on Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:42 am

not lee, but i do have a race trigger. i used the "light" trigger spring. the pull is lighter compared to the oem trigger. Trigger reset hasn't been affected by the lighter spring.
for me, the straight profile of the trigger seems to give a more consistent feel. so the trigger profile combined with the lighter spring makes double taps, and loger strings of semi auto fire easier and faster.

And like lee says, it look different :D
bradnuts

Postby The Reptile House on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:27 am

Lee wrote:Thank you haha, from comparing the two triggers, FCC has a more crisp pull than the OEM trigger probably due to heavier spring. Straight triggers feel nice and is a different look IMO :lol:

bradnuts wrote:...the trigger profile combined with the lighter spring makes double taps, and loger strings of semi auto fire easier and faster.

Thanks guys - it's that kind of feedback I was looking for :D
The Reptile House
Admin Group

Postby papoose42 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:05 pm

Is it worth the almost 200 over oem gearbox
papoose42
Groupie

Postby JetL on Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:54 pm

Lee thank you for the review, most appreciated.

How is the gear mesh, less or more noise than the stock box? How is the pinion gear mesh?

It would be great if you could look at the inside of the box after a few thousand rounds.
I'm curious to see where the wear patterns (if any) would occur.

Nice review again.
JetL

Postby Lee on Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:46 pm

papoose42 wrote:Is it worth the almost 200 over oem gearbox

If you feel the need to have a higher quality gear box that is solid or need a replacement and extra cash to spend yes lol. I have high standards of their motor and will be installing it soon, I would replace the motor before anything.

JetL wrote:Lee thank you for the review, most appreciated.

How is the gear mesh, less or more noise than the stock box? How is the pinion gear mesh?

It would be great if you could look at the inside of the box after a few thousand rounds.
I'm curious to see where the wear patterns (if any) would occur.

Nice review again.

I couldn't really tell a difference in sound while running an M110 cylinder to be honest lol, will test a M150 later. I will be firing rounds through it then removing the gearbox and inspecting the gears. However I will not be opening it :o
Pics will be taken :lol:
Lee

Postby lUcIfEr on Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:49 am

Thanks for the great review :D Awsome pics too ;)
What would you say about the quality of the gears? Are they chrome-molly steel like the Systema ones, or just regular steel?
A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel. - Robert Frost
I just want you to know that, when we talk about war, we're really talking about peace. - George W. Bush
EXTREMELY RIGHTWINGED.
9/11-NEVER FORGET-NEVER FORGIVE
lUcIfEr

Postby Tkschnee on Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:34 am

I have a FCC box as well. It is the "speed" version. Like was stated above it looks great and the trigger is cool as hell.
I also have a prime lower and was a bit tough to get it installed with out damaging the wiring. I did notice as well the lack of lube (IMHO most people over lube the sh*t out of their guns, a little bit of good lube in the right places beats the hell out of to much of the cheap stuff all over)the my box sounded a bit rough when I was cycling it by hand, but after maybe 100 revolutions it quieted down and felt a lot smoother.

It ran great with a nice ROF and smooth operation till my motor up and sh*t on me.

My box has a FCC sticker on the front seam for warranty reasons I assume so I am not gonna peek inside till the warranty expires.

But for now it is working great!
Tkschnee

Postby macguyver on Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:50 pm

I've openned factory gearboxes with 70,000 rounds and they looked brand new on the inside. I just opened one last week that had between 150,000 and 170,000 rounds and it was dry, there was twigs, grass and dirt inside. There was some minor wear on the flat surfaces where the sun and bevel gear meet. That box had not been openned since the gun was built in early 2007.

I would hope that there would be virtually zero wear on this gearbox until at least 100,000 rounds.
The Anti-Radical Radical
macguyver

Next

Return to PTW parts review section